If you are a beginner you need to know how to shifting gears on a mountain bike very easily. It is much important to save your energy and time while enjoying your journey. shifting Gears on a bicycle incorrect way may save your energy as well as the time you spend on it.
Though normal bicycles come along with 2 gear systems while others are not, especially mountain bikes.
For Shifting gear on a mountain bike, normally there are three manufacturing components. They are SRAM, Shimano, and Campagnolo.
Tips to consider when shifting gears on mountain bike
To take maximum efficiency you need to get while paddling. you need to improve your shifting skills quickly. so just you need to follow the below steps before shifting gears on a mountain bike.
- Discover your shifting gears on mountain bike – you must discover and adjust mostly fitted shifting gear setup to your bike. This may vary from one person to another with their type of the bike and riding style.
- Maintain your gear System – It is much more important thing that you should keep it touch to maintain your gear system. Should re check your cable line , keep clean and lubricate before your journey starts.
- shift gears minimally at a time – it is better to shift 1 – 2 gears at a time, because shifting gears on a mountain bike more than 2 at once may cause damage to your gear system.
- Shift gears while paddling – just like motor vehicles which has manual gear system, in here also you need to shift gears while paddling.
Discover your shifting gears on a mountain bike
If you shift gears on a mountain bike you need to know about what exact gear system is installed. Mostly shifting gears on a mountain bike comes along with handlebars while a few of the older versions come on down tube.
- Brand: MicroSHIFT
- Item Weight: 0.4 Pounds
This is most commonly seen shifting gears on a mountain bike. you just need is to push your thumb in large lever to downshift and when it is ready to upshift just push your thumb in smaller lever.
- Handle Type: Lever
- Metal Type: Aluminum
- Handle Material: Aluminum
- Brand: PA
In here shifting gears as much as similar to Thumb shifter. As these types of shifting gear systems can be found especially in fitness bikes. For this type, you have to use your forefinger as well. simply to downshift you can use your thumb to push and when you need to upshift you need to use your both thumb and forefinger as well.
- Handle Material: Rubber
- Item Dimensions LxWxH: 4.72 x 3.94 x 1.57 inches
- Brand: Lomodo
- twist shifters: left 1-3 speed, on the right 1-7 speed
When you see this on your first sight you can come across that this gear system is much similar to motor bikes. you just need grip the shift and move towards the shifting line. To upshift , grip and shift towards you so you move your bike faster as like your motor bike. and when you need to downshift just do the vise versa.
This type of shifting gear systems are made to improve the speed of your bike. In here your handlebar can be moved towards you and away from you. via this you can rest your hand while ridding your bike as 2 break levers are mounted down the handlebar. when gears are pulled back to accurate your breaks while gear shifts push sideway to change your gears.
Reasons to breakdown your shifting gear on bicycle
what will happens if you don’t maintain your shifting gear system definitely , cables may get damaged. In order to shift gears smoothly while bike gears to use uphill you must keep your gear setup clean and well lubricant.
Get practice again and again to shift gears on mountain bike while riding . check your cables in the shifting gears more often. you can gain some more knowledge about the type of your mountain bike from here as well…..
Read more; How to install a water bottle cage